PONTE DELLA COSTITUZIONE
Inaugurated in September 2008, the bridge “Ponte della Costituzione”, also known as “Ponte di Calatrava” was built over Venice’s Grand Canal and connects Piazzale Roma and the Santa Lucia train station. The bridge has a curved design, with a height that varies from 3.2 metres on the banks to 9.28 in its centre. The main structure is made of stainless steel while the ground is paved with Saint Gobain glass, pietra d’Istria, and Montemerlo rock. The bridge includes 94 steps and measures 81 meters at its longest span. The bridge’s width varies from 5.58 meters to almost 10 meters in its centre.
Until 1850 the Grand Canal could only be crossed using the Ponte di Rialto. Prior to the beginning of the twentieth century two iron bridges were built for commercial purposes. One was in front of the Gallerie dell’Accademia and another in front of the train station.